OverviewWorms are nature’s composters and will do a superb job converting your kitchen scraps into rich, black vermicompost. However, there are times when you may want to supplement your worm’s diet with formulated grain. Some professional worm farmers even go beyond that and feed their worms ONLY formulated grain feed.
Our Food 4 Worms formulated grain feed supplies all of the essential nutrients that your worms need: protein, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. A balanced recipe of wheat, oats, corn, plant and animal protein that will give your worms what they need for a healthy and productive life cycle.
If you are a beginner, or even an experienced worm wrangler, it is imperative that you understand how to feed your worms with formulated grain feed. The most common mistake that people make is overfeeding. You will avoid this by adhering to the following recommendations.
Feeding Method RecommendationsTotal Mix, Grain Only. Add 1/4 cup of Food4Worms Feed per 1 gallon of bedding. (For example, if you have 4 gallons of bedding you will add 1 cup of Worm Feed.) MIX THOROUGHLY. After 2-3 weeks, harvest your worms and repeat. Do not add more than the prescribed amount as you will risk the feed fermenting which can harm your worm's health. This is more of a “hands-off” approach that can be used as part of a growing your worms from babies to adulthood.
Top Feeding Procedure, Grain Only. Start slowly, you do not want to overfeed. Overfeeding causes acidity which can adversely affect your earthworms. Sprinkle 1 ounce (1 scoop of the measuring cup provided) evenly onto the top of the bedding. If you do not have the scoop, measure with 2 tablespoons. Mist lightly with water -- 15 pumps with your spray bottle should be sufficient. If your bedding is very moist, try letting the feed absorb the moisture. Do not feed more than once every 24 hours.
- Increase the amount if your earthworms are consuming a single feeding within 12 hours.
- Decrease the amount if it takes longer than 36 hours to consume a single feeding.
Supplemental, Food Scraps w/ Grain. When supplementing with Food 4 Worms worm feed, add ¼ cup of the grain to a batch of kitchen scraps and mix it well, then feed the scraps/grain mix to your worms just as you normally would do. Add grain to the kitchen scraps once per month.
Good to Know's
- Combine the Total Mix and Top Feed methods to lessen your work load. Do not top feed until the Total Mix feeding cycle has completed (3 weeks)
- Be careful not to overfeed – uneaten grain will begin to ferment which will sour your bedding and harm the worms.
- Overfeeding with grain can also cause protein poisoning, also known as “string of pearls” or sour crop.
- The best way to fix any problems with overfeeding is to simply change out the bedding.
- Worms will let you know that they do not like the conditions of their bedding – if you have lots of worms trying to escape, you have a problem!
- Crude Protein, Min. 19.00%
- Crude Fat, Min. 6.00%
- Crude Fiber, Max. 9.50%